30 Day Fresh Start Effect - Minimalism Challenge and What I Learned
Just shy of the entrance in to 2015, I decided it was time to slow down. Something had to give. I felt like I was being suffocated by my surroundings and everything in me was reaching out in desperation for clarity and calm. Recently, I was talking with a friend about living a more purposeful, simple life, and what I had learned from taking 30 days to reboot my soul. I recalled this post that poured out of me.
I knew it was time to seek out some help, so I began doing what any of us would do. I jumped in to the black hole that is Pinterest and searched for the words "minimalism" and "simplify". Up jumped the 30-day minimalism challenge below from this blog. I immediately made a pact with myself to see this through. What I didn't expect was how much it truly was going to change me and our family's lifestyle.
I originally saw this as another cheesy social media challenge where all my followers would most likely get annoyed with my over posts. After I gave it a second thought, I realized that it could be much more. It could be an opportunity to not only detox my soul and my surroundings, but to also encourage or motivate others who I KNEW needed it. Instead of turning off your phone notifications for just a period of time, how about turning them off COMPLETELY! Practice gratitude? But of course we should practice gratitude more than once in 30 days. I encourage you to incorporate many of these items in to your every day. Form new habits, create new norms. Encourage your kids to participate and use it as a teaching opportunity!
WHAT happened when we went on this journey.....
- By single-tasking, shutting out/off the noise that surrounds, and being more mindful, my high driven anxiety subsided greatly.
- I found myself saying NO more often because I realized how truly valuable time is, and where it is best spent (with my family of course!). I stopped obsessing over my calendar.... feeling satisfied when it was empty, rather than when it was full to the brim!
- I created new habits! I began cleaning my closet every quarter and following a rule of "If I haven't worn it in 3-4 months (in-season), I probably will not wear it, therefore it should GO! And I picked up books and magazines rather than my phone when I had down time (ha! what is that?).
- From a financial standpoint, which is probably one of the biggest beneficiaries of this process, I began to not feel urged to shop online and impulse buy. I took steps to identify whether each purchase was truly worth my hard earned $$$ going in to someone else's pocket.
- No one is making memories by staring at a screen. Shutting down and going outside was so rejuvenating.
- Our girls learned about gratitude, giving back, and things do not define us as a family.
- My husband and I enjoyed talking more, working out together, and finding more ways to pitch the unnecessary around the house!
- You can absolutely accomplish a goal! Having it loud and proud and somewhere you see each day will help keep it top of mind and eventually accomplished! HELLO, Financial Freedom!
- The community of friends and family cheering me on along the way was so encouraging. I wasn't alone in seeking this lifestyle adjustment, and I witnessed others jump on board, which motivated me even more. It's okay to share, so others will be inspired.
- I learned that we don't necessarily need things, we just plain WANT them. Looking thru a lens of need vs. want each time we have to make a choice with our time and money is crucial for the success of our family.
Will you accept this challenge? Could you use a refresh, a detox, a reboot, a spring cleaning? There's no exact order, the schedule is merely a guide to inspire you and help you move through with intention.
Join the Honest Chatter community and #HC30DayFreshStartEffect - on Instagram, beginning April 1
Instagram photos of my journey through the #30DayFreshStartEffect in 2015